I have written quite extensively on the subjects of
"Qualifications for the Ministry" - "Disqualification from the
Ministry" - "Church Disfellowshipping, What the Bible really
Teaches." These studies can be send to anyone via E-mail upon
There is yet one book that I highly recommend to everyone.
Certainly all Church of God libraries should have it, and all
Elders within the Church of God should have their own personal
copy. The book is called "A GUIDE TO CHURCH DISCIPLINE." The
author is J. Carl Laney. The publishers are: Benthany House,
Minneapolis, Minnesota 55438, USA.
Let me give you what is written on the inside sleeve cover:
"Contending that many Christian leaders have accepted a
'don't-rock-the-boat' attitude towards church discipline,
Dr.Laney challenges the church to accept her God-given
responsibility. Focusing on the goal of church discipline - the
restoration of the believer to God and to the church body - the
author shows Christian leaders how to use it correctly.
In his research on the subject, Dr.Laney surveyed hundreds of
pastors from over 60 denominations. Their response provides
valuable insight for questions such as:
* Why is church discipline necessary?
* What sins require church discipline?
* What are the steps to be taken in disciplining a church
member or leader?
* What are the dangers inherent in discipline procedures and
how can they be avoided?
* What are the legal ramifications of church discipline?
On the back sleeve we read:
" Fears of disunity and even legal problems have caused many
church leaders to avoid confronting Christians who are living in
sin. Challenging the church's reluctance, Dr. Laney provides a
biblical, practical and loving handbook for pastors and lay
leaders alike on church discipline. "
The chapter contents are:
1. The Church Without Discipline.
2. The Pattern for Church Discipline.
3. A Time for Discipline.
4. The Steps for Discipline - The Teaching of Jesus.
5. The Steps for Discipline - The Teaching of Paul.
6. The Authority for Discipline.
7. The Purpose of Discipline.
8. Restoration After Discipline.
9. The Results of Church Discipline.
10. The Discipline of Christian Leaders.
11. The Dangers of Church Discipline.
12. Church Discipline in America.
13. Questions Concerning Church Discipline.
Conclusion: Calling the Church to Discipline.
A VERY FINE BOOK. ALL CHURCHES AND ALL CHRISTIAN LEADERS
SHOULD HAVE THIS BOOK WHICH COVERS A SUBJECT MOST WOULD LIKE TO
IGNORE, OR WISH THEY DID NOT HAVE TO STUDY. BUT IT IS ONE OF THE
DOCTRINES OF THE ETERNAL, A SUBJECT THAT THE NT SCRIPTURES ARE
NOT SILENT UPON. A SUBJECT ALL CHRISTIANS SHOULD KNOW THE TRUTH
OF THE MATTER ABOUT, SO THEY MAY NOT BE UNWISE BUT UNDERSTANDING
THE WILL OF THE LORD
Written in January 1998